The Place I Call Home

The Place I Call Home
Nashville After Dark

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Frozen Hike

Today a few friends and I went in search of some frozen waterfalls. Our first stop was going to be Lost Creek Falls in Sparta Tennessee. The roads were to bad so we ended up not going to this particular waterfall. We then headed over to Virgin Falls, which is located in the Bridgestone Firestone Wildlife Refuge area. It looked so beautiful and peaceful covered with snow. When we arrived at the parking area, we set out on our hike to get to the falls. The temperature this day was about 20 degrees F, and it was snowing lightly and about an inch or two of snow on the ground. It was a nice hike to get to the falls, we hiked for about an hour. When we finally made it to the fall, it was gorgeous. As you can see in the picture it was partially frozen and covered in snow. We stayed for about 45 minutes taking pictures and enjoying the scenery. We then made the hour hike back to the car, opting to not go to the main waterfall this trip due to the time of day and the weather.

Even though we didn't go to our original destination, we still had a great time, and I will definitely be making a return trip to Virgin Falls.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Joe! Wonderful site. Here's my question, where in Sparta is Lost Creek Falls? I would love to travel down one day and snap some shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Scott,

    If you can mapquest Big Bottom Road, it is off of there. We made it back there today at is is amazingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Appreciate the directions Joe! I read where another of my facebook friends went yesterday as well. I guess I need to find this place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott, there are several of us, Mike and his wife, Meagan, Wendy, Denise, myself that try to go out shooting waterfalls often. I can let ya know next time we head out somewhere.

    ReplyDelete